Having a few handy items can make a tremendous difference when traveling. Heres a list of the items I never go on a trip without!
- Luggage Scale. This little contraption can help save you money by allowing you to weigh your luggage before it hits the scale at the airport. Overweight fees can be astronomical, so its prudent to weigh your bag yourself first. Dont forget to take it with you too, so you can use it on your return trip!
- Eye Mask. This can look silly but it really makes sleeping in vehicles much easier. It is perfect for when that annoying person doesnt put down their window shade or turn off the overhead ligh. Sometimes your time zones are messed up and you just want some shut-eye!
- Neck Pillow. Again, this is a comfort thing. It makes sleeping so much easier! I prefer to buy a very firm one (like the memory foam one listed here) so my head is supported more. While mentioning comfort items, I will add that it’s also not a bad idea to include ear plugs.
- External Back-Up Battery. I use my phone way too much and its pretty much guaranteed to die. Pack this and you will thank yourself when you see that low battery alert! The one listed here can sustain 2 full charges on most phones and its the size of a candy bar!
- Glad Press’n Seal Sealable Plastic Wrap. Okay, so I don’t actually travel with this BUT I use it for an awesome track hack. I press all of my jewelry between pieces of Press’n Seal to keep them from getting all tangled up. Each necklace and set of earrings gets it’s own little Press’n Seal package. Ive also heard of people using the weekly pill containers for this as well!
- Travel Notebook & Pen. This one is a little bit more sentimental. When I go on cool trips, I like to write down what I did everyday. Years from now, it will be very hard to remember specific details from my trips. My little travel notebooks will allow me to relive my adventures even when I’m old!
- Travel Toothbrush and mini toothpaste. I always feel kind of gross after traveling. A quick tooth brush on a layover really helps make you feel refreshed. This one folds in half to cover the brush part. In this same category, I would include a mini moisturizer and chapstick.
- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die Book. A family member gave this to me as a gift recently and Im kind of obsessed with it. It’s a great way to pass the travel time, plus there are recommendations, guides, and historical background info about hundreds of cities and sites. I plan on reading the entire Paris section on my flight over there! I have the international version but there is also a United States and Canada version.
- A grocery bag. I use a grocery bag in my luggage to separate dirty under-things from the rest of my clothes. A grocery bag or shower cap is good for separating shoes as well!
- Wet Ones Antibacterial Wipes. I’ve been known to wipe down my airline seat before sitting down. These also come in handy for those germ infested trays too! I even wipe them across my hotel pillows. Aint nobody got time to be sick on vacation.
What are your favorite travel items?